The Image of the Body (Body Image Debate)

I have been ridiculed by many of my peers for my perspectives on the image of the body. Mainly because in my opinion it doesn't matter what someone else thinks about how I look, but it seems as if most people manage their personal presentation on how the outside world perceives them.





I hate the old saying "perception is reality" because it says that what you think about yourself doesn't matter and what does matter is what someone else thinks about you. So if your a complicated person people who don't have open minds tend to incorrectly judge you as an individual.





One instance that I have a problem with is the whole interview scenario. I am a business major and on many occasions I have been told that the way you look in the eyes of the interviewer can determine whether or not you get the position you are applying for with the company. I believe that this is a tragedy because many times candidates aren't properly trained on how to present themselves even though they maintain the mental capability to do the job. I was riding with my manager while on my last internship in Atlanta and my manager adamantly explained to me that if a young man of color came into an interview with her and had braids or locks that she would feel disrespected. She further explained that not only will she get the feeling of discourtesy that she will automatically go thumbs down on moving forward with that individual. Why can't we as African-American people express ourselves in a way that is unique to our own culture without ridicule from other races or even members of our own race? Far too often we have to assimilate to what white society thinks is acceptable in our own appearance. This is evident with black women feeling like having nappy hair is a bad thing. That they should get perms that slowly seep chemicals into their scalp and causing their hair to look like the picture below:



All I would say from here is that people shouldn't live their

lives wondering what someone else thinks about how they

look, just be comfortable with self.

No comments: